Home/Renters Insurance Center
FREE Insurance Comparison
Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!
What To Do When Your Home Insurance Claim Is Denied
Article 3 of 6 in Get the Most Out of Home Insurance Claims
If you have had your home insurance claim denied, you need to know the options you still have available. Having a home insurance claim denied can be devastating, so you should look to challenge the decision in any way you can by reading your policy, understanding the reason for the company's decision, and working with an experienced attorney to get the money that you deserve.
TIP: The most important thing to remember is that you do not have to go through a denied home insurance claim on your own. Contact a home insurance attorney for assistance as soon as possible.
Why Your Home Insurance Claim is Denied
If your home insurance claim has been denied you probably learned about the denial in a letter you received from the homeowners insurance adjuster assigned to the claim. The letter will explain the reason your home insurance claim has been denied, and reference the portion of your policy that supports the company's decision. If the letter does not fully explain why your home insurance claim is denied, clarify the reason with your adjuster. There are a few common reasons that insurance companies can deny home insurance claims:
- There is no coverage for the cause of loss. There are many types of home insurance policies that cover different disasters and if the damage to your home was not caused by a covered peril then your policy will not pay for your loss. For example, if you do not have flood insurance and your home was destroyed by a flood then you will not get money from your insurance carrier. Watch how the insurance company classifies what caused your damage and make sure their assessment is accurate!
- The loss happened outside of the policy coverage period.
- You did not fulfill an obligation or condition of coverage in the policy. For example, you did not prevent further damage, you are not cooperating with the insurance company, or you did not pay your insurance premiums.
There are cases where the reason for a denied homeowners insurance claim are clear, however, there are those times where the decision is not so black and white. Keep in mind that if the insurance company finds a gray area, they will typically favor denying the claim and saving money! Contacting an attorney who is an expert in homeowners insurance settlements and denials is your best option to get the payout you deserve. Hiring a legal expert that can assist in explaining and navigating the complex language of the insurance contract or policy can help you fight your denial.
What to do After Your Homeowners Insurance Claim is Denied
In order to prepare for to dispute a denied homeowners insurance claim, make sure you follow some simple tips:
- Keep complete and accurate records! Record every conversation, hold onto every receipt, and store any letters or emails you exchange with your insurance company.
- Get out your policy and read the section referenced in your home insurance denial letter carefully. Does it apply to your cause of loss at all? If not, note the reason in your letter to the insurance company.
- It is possible that the cause of the damage was not communicated properly to the insurance company. If you find this to be the case, draft a letter to your home insurance adjuster explaining any discrepancy listed. Make certain you are specific and only address the incorrect information outlined in their letter.
- If you feel that there was a gross delay in handling your claim or lack of fair dealing, you should file a complaint with the Department of Insurance for your state.
Taking action to dispute a home insurance claim that has been denied can be difficult. Home insurance adjusters have years of expertise when dealing with the language and coverage issues of the insurance contract. Consulting with an attorney will help you fight your denied homeowners insurance claim. An attorney can help you dispute your home insurance claim denial or even file a lawsuit to get the settlement you deserve.
If you need an attorney because your home insurance claim is denied, click here and one will review your case for free. Consultations are free and could help you get your claim paid! Don't wait to get the homeowner's insurance settlement you deserve. Contact an attorney in your area today.