Life Insurance Center
FREE Insurance Comparison
Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!
How To File Life Insurance Claims
Article 2 of 6 in Life Insurance Claims, Attorneys, and Lawsuits
Filing a life insurance claim is made easier if you know what to expect from the process. You don't need to be an expert to know how to file a life insurance claim, but should have a basic knowledge about what to expect and what documents to provide. Follow the simple tips in this article before you file your life insurance claim.
TIP: It is important to follow the proper procedure when filing life insurance claims. Make sure your insurance company works with you, and ask an experienced agent any additional questions you may have.
How to File a Life Insurance Claim
To file a claim on a life insurance policy, you should contact the number listed on the policy for claims or the local agent representing the company. If you visit the agent's office, take the policy and any attached or related documents and the death certificate, and be prepared to provide the following information:
- Life insurance policy number
- Name of the deceased
- Birth date of the deceased
- Death date of the deceased
- Your name, address and birth date (to identify you as the beneficiary)
- Where the check for the death benefit should be mailed.
- Funeral home of the deceased
- A fax number or a mailing address to send the state certified copy of the death certificate.
TIP: Make note of the name of the company representative with whom you filed your life claim, the claim reference number they give you and the date and time you talked with any company representative. You will need this information at a later time in the event you have to follow up on your life insurance benefits claim. Also, make sure you always keep an original copy of the death certificate and the policy for yourself.
Tips To Follow When You Claim Life Insurance
You do not want your life insurance claim to be denied because you failed to follow some step or because the necessary information did not make it to the company. When you claim life insurance, take your time and follow some simple tips to make sure the process is correct:
- Get the death certificate to the insurance company: The most important document that the insurance company will need is the death certificate, so don't take chances with its delivery. When you send the insurance company the death certificate, make sure the envelope is tracked and sent with the highest priority and care. This may cost you more but in the long run, you will be able to prove receipt of your death certificate.
- Take action immediately: The sooner you file the life insurance claim, the better. As soon as you are able, you should file the life insurance claim.
- Get the company the information it needs: Be sure to clarify exactly what information or documentation you need to provide. Some companies require a copy of your driver's license or marriage certificate. Some require social security cards or other forms of ID. Always make sure you know what information is required before you file a life insurance claim
- Prepare the needed documents before hand: After the policy is purchased, clip to the policy any information that could be needed for the life insurance claim (social security numbers, addresses, phone number) to make the information gather process easier.
The life insurance claim process is streamlined, and if you are prepared with the proper documentation you can collect your benefit without difficulty or delay.
How Long Does the Life Insurance Claim Process Take?
As long as all documents are received in a timely manner and there is no questions about the validity of the policy or the coverage, then the life insurance claim process should only take a couple of weeks. If your life insurance claim takes longer, you should call the life insurance company for an update and ask if they are missing any information or have questions about the claim.
TIP: Do not wait for your life insurance claim to process! If you have not heard back from the company after a couple of weeks, then take action to figure out what has happened to your claim.
A successful life insurance claim will pay out the benefits according to the wishes of the policy holder. If you would like to make sure your loved ones are protected according to your wishes, click here for a free quote on a life insurance policy today.
Read more articles about life insurance claims, lawsuits, and attorneys by clicking here.