Ask An Insurance Pro - Question and Answers

Answers to your Insurance Questions - Ask Your Question

Auto Insurance Question from Catlin, Indiana

Asked on 7/10/2019.   This question has received 41 views.
Am I required to buy two years worth of auto insurance to obtain an SR-22 for two years?   License is suspended. I need two years proof of insurance SR-22 through 8/21.

Answer given on July 12, 2019

If you need to provide proof of automobile insurance for two years because your license was suspended, the insurance company will provide the proof for the policy term they provide. Most automobile insurance companies write an annual or six month policy term and the proof is provided at each renewal date.  There are no automobile insurance companies that provide a two year policy.

You can change your automobile insurance policy at any renewal if you find a different insurance company to provide the SR 22 at a lower cost. Simply advise the prior insurance company, which will send a notice of cancellation to the Dept of Motor Vehicles, but the new company will send proof of insurance when their policy goes into effect.

There is usually a charge for this SR 22 filing. It is not a lot, usually around $25-$50 each policy term.  When the SR 22 is no longer required, be sure to tell your insurance company so they do not continue to send it, and to continue to charge you.

NOTE: The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is a part of this answer!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.