Ask An Insurance Pro - Question and Answers

Answers to your Insurance Questions - Ask Your Question

Auto Insurance Question from North Shore, Louisiana

Asked on 8/19/2019.   This question has received 18 views.
Do driver who's at fault insurance will pay for damages even if I'm not on the insurance with the car I'm driving   Car accident

Answer given on August 20, 2019

In auto insurance, the insurance follows the car. If you were driving someone else's car and caused an accident, the insurance for the car should pay for damages and injuries to the other driver.  However, there are some insurance companies which now exclude drivers if they are not listed on the insurance policy. Make sure that is not the case for this accident.  If it is, you may have to file a claim under your automobile insurance for the damages. The owner of the car will not usually see an increase in their rates since they were not driving. However, if you caused the accident then your insurance rates can increase on your automobile insurance policy

It is always best to be sure that you are insured when using someone else's car. Also, it is not recommended that you lend your car to anyone, as they could cause a major accident and result in major damages and/or injuries to another person.  

NOTE: The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is a part of this answer!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.