Ask An Insurance Pro - Question and Answers

Answers to your Insurance Questions - Ask Your Question

Auto Insurance Question from Bell, California

Asked on 5/22/2019.   This question has received 50 views.
My insurance is ready to pay my claim but are demanding a police report.   My car was stolen and police were called but never arrived..

Answer given on May 24, 2019

If your car was stolen and you called the police it is expected that they come to take a report. However, many cities in California do not have the manpower to send a police officer to every car theft and other non violent theft and they have you file the claim either online or with a paper report.

Even though it is well after the date of the car theft, you can still file a police report.  Call your local police department, or the town/city where the theft occurred and ask how to file a police report. (Do not call 911). They can advise the best and easiest way for you to make the report.  If the insurance company follows up with you to settle the claim tell them you are filing the necessary police report. They should understand and will wait for the report without any penalty to you. However, they will probably wait for a copy of the report before they will pay the settlement.  If the car has been recovered, make sure you are not incurring any storage charges while this is being finalized.

NOTE: The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is a part of this answer!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.