Ask An Insurance Pro - Question and Answers

Answers to your Insurance Questions - Ask Your Question

Auto Insurance Question from Atoka, Tennessee

Asked on 5/11/2012.   This question has received 2033 views.
If my son stole my car and wrecked it, will my insurance cover it if he is not arrested?  

 Notify me of updates.

Answer given on May 13, 2012 by DC

If your car was stolen, even by a family member, and you have comprehensive and collision coverage on the car, the insurance company should pay for the damages to your car less your deductible. Since this was a family member, you will need to file a police report for the theft. The police may arrest him or not, but the report still needs to be filed. However, even if not a family member, a police report should be filed if you have not already done so. If you have previously allowed your son to use the car, there could be an issue with the police and the insurance company. He may have felt he was allowed to use the car and did not consider that he was stealing it. If he lives with you that could make his case stronger against a theft charge. However, your collision coverage should still cover the car if he was a licensed driver.

NOTE: The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is a part of this answer!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.