Ask An Insurance Pro - Question and Answers

Answers to your Insurance Questions - Ask Your Question

Life Insurance Question from Peekskill, New York

Asked on 1/28/2012.   This question has received 1365 views.
My aunt died recently and we found out she left a life insurance for my mom, but my mom pre-deceased my aunt. How can we claim the insurance benefit?   My aunt from New York passed away last Nov, 2011. She left a life insurance with my mom as the sole beneficiary. My mom died 4 years ago. When I called the insurance company they say it will go to the estate. What's the process of that? My aunt died intestate, does it mean the money will go to all of the distributee of the estate? So, will I and my brother be included in that? What can we do to facilitate the claim?

 Notify me of updates.

Answer given on February 2, 2012 by FreeAdvice Insurance Pro

It should go to your mother's estate.  Did your mother have a will?  Did your mother have an executor of the will?  If so, have the executor contact the insurance company.  If not, you should probably have a lawyer look into this to advice you on the proper way for your to secure this money that would have gone to your mother.  To find a will and estate attorney in your area, click here.

NOTE: The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is a part of this answer!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.