Ask An Insurance Pro - Question and Answers

Answers to your Insurance Questions - Ask Your Question

Auto Insurance Question from Rochester, Michigan

Asked on 8/11/2014.   This question has received 3946 views.
There was a big flood, I drove through a flooded street and the water damaged my engine. What does my AAA car insurance cover?   I have full coverage with a $500 deductilbe with AAA Michigan and my car is a lease. I was driving during the heavy storm in Michigan today, the flooded city streets were too deep and my car's engine started to make noises due to the water. I stopped driivng it and it is able to be driven, however, it makes a noise and I don't think it is safe. With my full coverage insurance, would this be a covered claim where I would only need to pay the deductible and my AAA insurance would cover the rest?

Answer given on August 14, 2014

If your car was damaged due to a flood and you have full coverage, your insurance company will pay to repair the vehicle less your deductible. If the car is repairable, then they will pay for the repairs to the car. If the water damage caused damages to the computer system, then the car may not be repairable and the car will be considered a total loss. Your deductible will still apply. If the car is a total loss the insurance company will only pay the actual cash value of the car. This may not be sufficient to pay off the lease on the car so you may still owe money to the leasing company. It depends upon the age of the car and how long you have been paying on the lease as to whether you will have enough coverage to pay off the lease. If you feel the amount offered for a total loss is not enough then you must prove the value of the car is higher. You can do this through local ads for a similar car.

NOTE: The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is a part of this answer!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.