Ask An Insurance Pro - Question and Answers

Answers to your Insurance Questions - Ask Your Question

Homeowners Insurance Question from Oak Park, Illinois

Asked on 7/12/2010.   This question has received 2496 views.
What does sewer and drain water damage coverage mean?  

 Notify me of updates.

Answer given on July 13, 2010 by DC

The standard homeowner policy covers water damage to your home if the sewer backs up, such as a toilet overflowing.  However, many policies exclude sewer and water damage if the backup occurs outside of the home.  If the sewer system of your town, or in your area backs up and backs up into your home the insurance policy may not cover it.  You can purchase additional protection for this type of water damage for a nominal cost.  If the sewer back up is excluded on your policy, I recommend you speak with your insurance agent and ask about adding this additional protection. 
The option would be to try to get payment from the sewer company for any damages caused.

NOTE: The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is a part of this answer!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.