Health Insurance Center

Health Insurance Q & As

Question 1 of 4 in Federal Laws Affecting Health Insurance
I have health coverage through my employer but i’m leaving my job soon. Though I like my current coverage, I cannot carry it from job to job. What are my options?
If your employment ends, voluntarily or otherwise, or you lose coverage because of reduced work hours, you have the right under COBRA (the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) to continue in the group on a temporary basis. COBRA applies to all employers with 20 or more workers. You will have to pay for the full group coverage, but you may be able to retain your insurance for yourself for up to 18 months.

Your employer will furnish you (or your spouse) a booklet that explains all the twists and turns under COBRA as well as a summary plan description that contains information about COBRA. In addition, when a plan receives notice of a qualifying event, the plan must notify the covered person of their right to choose continuation of coverage.