Health Insurance Center

Health Insurance Q & As

Question 1 of 1 in Health Insurance Decisions For Divorced Couples
My husband and I are legally separated and he says he will now drop me from his group/ individual health plan. Can he do that? Do I get to continue coverage by myself?
Consult a Divorce attorney. In general, you cannot be dropped from an employer-sponsored plan due to legal separation unless you personally sign the request. You are entitled to continue group coverage under federal COBRA (or State continuation if the employer had fewer than 20 employees). If you were on an individual plan, you are entitled to keep the same plan at the same rating tier as you currently enjoy with your spouse, but the rates will reflect your own age category when you become the policyholder.