Auto Insurance Center
FREE Insurance Comparison
Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!
Get Low Cost Car Insurance With Driver Discounts
Article 4 of 8 in Buying Car Insurance - Discounts and Savings
When you are shopping for car insurance, you should be aware of a number of possible car insurance discounts. Low car insurance rates are possible if you are able to qualify for the discounts discussed below. See how to lower the average cost of car insurance by being a safe driver, paying your bill on time, avoiding claims, and more!
TIP: Virtually every person looking for quotes on cheap car insurance can find a discount, so take a thorough look at your options. As you shop for car insurance quotes online, be sure find all the available discounts, and how you can take advantage of them.
How to Find Car Insurance Discounts
Although auto insurance companies differ in what discounts they offer, you need to be aware of the following when you get your car insurance quote online:
Car Insurance Discounts from Your Vehicle:
The type of vehicle you drive influences your car insurance rates. Several auto insurance companies will offer discounts on your car insurance if your vehicle has certain safety features that help reduce the likelihood of personal injury or serious damage to the car. Since your insurance company will pay for injuries or damages to the vehicle, anything that you can do to reduce those risks can result in a discount.
TIP: You can find car insurance discounts for features such as anti-theft systems, anti-lock brakes, additional airbags, and more. When getting your car insurance quote online, ask about available discounts for car safety features.
Things You Can Do for Car Insurance Discounts
Your actions as a driver and as an insurance customer can help you get low cost car insurance. Consider the following discounts offered by many auto insurance companies:
- Multi-policy discounts if you buy multiple policies (auto, home, life, etc) from the same company
- Pre-payment discounts if you pay your entire premium in one payment
- On time or electronic payment discounts if you show a good payment history, or arrange for automatic deductions from your bank account.
- Safe driver discounts when you establish a record free of accidents or traffic violations. This is a common and potentially significant discount. Your driving record is a big factor in your car insurance rates. The best drivers get the lowest car insurance rates!
- Defensive driver discounts are available if you complete a certified defensive driving course that is approved by your insurance company
- Mileage based discounts available if you drive under a certain number of miles
Ask your car insurance provider how to lower the average cost of car insurance by requesting they provide you a list of the auto insurance discounts you qualify for.
Car Insurance Discounts for Specific Groups
Because car insurance rates can differ across categories of people, certain groups of people have additional discounts available to them to help lower their cost of auto insurance.
- Teenagers / Students are often considered a high risk group, and face higher premiums than other drivers. Most auto insurance companies offer Good Student Discounts for students who maintain a good GPA and Driver's Education Discounts for students who pass a certified driver's education class that is approved by the insurance company.
- Elderly / Retired persons sometimes face higher premiums. However, many car insurance companies offer Retired discounts for individuals who are over a certain age and retired. Additionally, elderly drivers have a chance to build a safe driving and good payment history to get further car insurance discounts.
- Military Discounts are available to members of the United States Armed Forces and their families
If you find yourself in one of these groups, look for car insurance discounts to help pay the costs of your auto insurance. Depending on the auto insurance company, there may be more car insurance discounts available to you.
TIP: If your auto insurance company does not offer these common discounts, you can take an opportunity to cancel your policy and find an auto insurance provider that is more accommodating. In order to SAVE money on car insurance, get a free car insurance quote online, ask what discounts you qualify for, and compare the available insurance rates before making a purchase.
If you would like to find an auto insurance policy that maximizes your car insurance discounts, click here to start using the Free Advice quote center today!
For more information about getting the right car insurance policy to fit your needs, check out the following articles:
More Articles To Help You Save Money On Car Insurance